Nessland

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Writing 3

My appointment yesterday was certainly an odd one. It was my first one I was dealing with head-on and my partner was assisting me on the side. My tutee had a paper due in 90 mins when she walked in. The assignment was to select a poem, rewrite it using the selected literary devices, and write a five page analytical essay comparing both the poems. I was quite clear on how it is not possible to do so within 90 minutes and more so, she probably will be better off asking for an extension. She did seem to comprehend and left on a note that she is gonna try.

I can imagine how frustrating it is when you cannot understand the assignment well enough but working on it at such a last-minute isn't the best idea either. My recommendation to all writers is that at least have an outline ready from the beginning as soon as you get the assignment. Personally, if I know what I am going to write about, I can think about it whenever over the course of next few days and form arguments that can be the topic sentences in the paper. It just works well that way if you figure out what you are going to do early in the game. It also ends up saving me a lot of time in the end trying to cram in ideas and in turn not doing justice to the assignment.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign
Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!